Wednesday 30 April 2008

Waiting for death

My mother in law has been slowly dying since Monday night. Mike is by her bedside, as is his dad and brother. They took her off everything yesterday at noon - drip etc - and expected her to die within 2 hours. 26 hours later, she's still alive, although her breathing is shallow and she hasn't moved for 4 hours apparently.
Beaky came over yesterday and Rav is here today - he's just gone to get me some groceries as I have all 3 kids today and going anywhere is impossible. I feel upset and weird about the whole thing. Mike is in a terrible way, having just sat at her bedside watching her die since he got to the hospital at about midnight on Monday night. I've had 2 crap nights sleep waiting for the phone to ring with the inevitable news and feel so drained. Nothing like he must be feeling though. This is so prolonged and painful - just waiting to die. Apparently she doesn't even look like Joyce anymore - she's sunken and so frail.
I have a headache. My lovely, lovely husband shouldn't have to go through this. I was never massively close to Joyce, but it's still upsetting. I feel detached from it here though- like it's not really real.
Surely she can't last much longer? For everyone's sake?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about mother-in-law. I hope that she isn't in much pain.